Monday, August 25, 2008

True story

I am loving 6th graders already. They are so funny in the cutest way possible.

I was talking to them today about synonyms. Why on the first day I was trying to teach them something, I do not know, but here is how the conversation played out.

Me: "A synonym is a word that means the same thing as another word."

I see a sweet girl with a very perplexed look on her face. Raises her hand.

Sweet girl: (tentatively) "I thought that was a spice."

Me: "What? (confused) Oh, no, not CINNAMON, synonym."

I know that is teacher humor, but I got a good laugh out of it.

4 comments:

The Beasley's said...

ha! I can TOTALLY see that happening. Hilarious, and that definitely made me laugh. Glad you are enjoying yourself. I loved my 6th graders...I found out interesting info. from Stephanie Tompkins--6th graders won't have keyboarding at AMS now...they will be required in 7th grade to have it. Weird, huh?

Sarah said...

haha I can picture one of my students saying that exact same thing b/c she seems like the type that would! I am glad you are liking 6th grade so far. It is so chaotic the first week b/c they have no idea where they are going or when to go there. I am looking forward to next week being here for sure!

Anonymous said...

I remember when we were sixth graders... :)

kelly said...

true story: remember when you used to write blogs?