Tuesday, September 1, 2009

no words

Here is a conversation that I had with one of my students yesterday.

Me: So, when you are taking the test, the first thing it is going to ask you is what type of books you like:
Simone: I don't have a favorite book.
Me: You just have to click what kind you like-romance, mystery, etc.
Simone: I don't like any kind. I only like to read things about me.
Me: (flabbergasted) Really?
Simone: (stone-faced serious) Yeah. Books aren't about me, so I am not interested. I only like to think about me.
Me: (still flabbergasted) So, you don't ever, you know, think about like your mom or what you are going to have for dinner or anything?
Simone: (still so serious. Not understanding at all the tears that are coming to my eyes because I am biting the inside of my cheek in an attempt not to fall on the floor laughing.)No. I only think about me. I am just being honest. I love me. I love the way God made me.
Me: (turning red from effort) I like the way God made you too. You are just right.

What kind of books do you suggest to someone who is only interested in themselves? I pondered with question for a long time, even lost some sleep over it. It finally hit me. I told Simone today that her year long project was to write her life story (yeah, all 11 years of it). She, of course, loved the idea. I told her that she needed to read lots of biographies and autobiographies so she could get some ideas about what to put in her story. She may or may not have seen through my ploy, but at least she is now somewhat excited about something that she can do in my class. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love that girl.

No comments: